Rooster Sailing

Rooster Sailing are proud to be sponsoring this page. Click on this image to go to our on-line shop and earn your organisation commission on any purchases made via this link.

Saturday 15 January 2011

Salty Air & Heavy Metal! Blog-O-Gramme Number 4

So, I've started my term as Trainee Deck Rating aboard THV Galatea. It is heavy, hard work indeed. Friday saw us just off of Great Yarmouth, we lifted three buoys in total, 2 starboard navigation buoys and 1 port one.  The first buoy was replaced with a shiny new one. The other two were lifted, the Mussels and other salty crud from the sea was jetwashed off and the buoy then placed on deck for testing. We had to replace a faulty regulator (this is what regulatres the power from the solar panels to the batteries). This put us back a little bit, though not a great deal.
Saturday we did the same with an Easterly Cardinal buoy. As well as the above there was 75 meters of chain that had to be replaced. This is very thick and heavy chain that requires thick and heavy work!  So this seems to be the bulk of my job. I shall endeavour to go into a little more detail on the step by step processes. I'll leave it for when I get the chance to take and upload some photos.
Also if you think that there's anything you want to hear about, let me know and I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would like to encourage comments of all kinds. Positive, negative, informative, evocative...
Your opinions, suggestions and thoughts matter to me so please feel free to get in touch and comment.